BREEDING YOUR GIRL
THIS PAGE WILL GIVE YOU USEFUL INFORMATION TO BREED YOUR GIRL SAFLEY AND HOPEFULLY SUCCESSFULLY.
So your wanting to have puppies from your girl?
Please think if you have the time to raise the litter. Also the possibilitys of complications. Please also think about selling the pups. will you be able to sell the ok?
This will not be a quick get rich thing.... you may end up out of pocket or you may even loose mum.
But if this is something you have thought about and discussed with other members of the family and decided that you have the time and resources then we are here to help.
signs you girl is coming into season
- You may notice her vulva start to swell before she starts to bleed
- She will have white discharge
- Then she will have brown discharge
- Then the 1st day of her season is when you see red blood*
- If you are wanting to use our stud dog it is a good idea to let us know that she is on day 1.
- Her bleeding will get heavier and go deep red, it will drip on the floor. Although some dogs clean themselves so much its hard to tell... best way to keep an eye on blood colour is
- Change her bedding to light colours, so you can check on it every morning.
- Dab her with a tissue to check colour and even send a picture to us to check.
* NOT ALL GIRLS BLEED, THEY CAN HAVE SILENT SEASON.
Click on silent season button for more info.
SIGNS YOUR GIRL IS READY
- She will flirt with other dogs, pushing her back end in there face.
- She will lift her vulva if something touches her back end. You can tickle her between her vulva and bum to see if she does this.
BUT THE BEST WAY TO KNOW IF SHE IS READY IS...
Take her to the vets for a pre-mate test.
- Call vets to see if they do pre mate progesterone tests. (Idexx or if in house a machine that gives you nmol/l reading.
This test is usually between £30 and £60 should be no more.
Or.... you can order a test kit by clicking IDEXX button on this page. You would then take the kit to your vets and get them to take blood. you would then post it to them. you will get results the next day.
It is advisable to take blood around 3:30 to get in the post before 4:30 then you will get a more accurate reading.
Also note please request the kennel name of our stud dog and call the kennel club to make sure they are not too closley related.
PLEASE NOTE: OUR STUD FEES ARE NONE RETURNABLE...